There are many occasions when someone may consider hiring a professional makeup artist. Weddings, parties, headshots and many more sometimes require a more polished or intricate makeup look. That’s where the professionals come in! Here are a few key reasons why hiring a professional makeup artist is the way to go.
1. Sanitization: This is at the very top of the list for good reason. Many people who market themselves as professionals often lack this cardinal rule – everything has to be extremely sanitary, NO exceptions. This means taking the extra step to scrape out cream concealers and lip sticks onto a sterile palette as to not contaminate the rest of the product. If you are working with someone who is not using disposables for mascara, lip products, and more and they’re not cleaning their brushes in between each person – walk out of there! It’s not worth the risk of pink eye, hepatitis, or worse.
2. Speed: Two huge factors when it comes to a professional include how well they apply makeup and how quickly they can apply it. There are exceptions to every rule, so sometimes being quick isn’t necessary. However, when there is a large bridal party and everyone needs makeup, this is when I’m able to do a full face of makeup in 30 minutes. I typically allot myself 45 minutes per person just in case, but I know I have the ability to speed it up when necessary without compromising my work.
3. Professional Products: This can be a bit of a grey area because there are truly some affordable products that can be found at the drugstore that do perform well. However, I believe in providing my clients with a luxury experience and this includes mostly professional products that are typically only available to professionals. Some products in my kit are also higher end brands that are available to consumers. A true artist can make any kind of product work, no matter the price tag. However, I still believe that more high end and professional products make that job a bit easier and create a look that is a step above the rest.
4. Asking Questions: Before my hands touch your face or a single makeup product, I am asking you about your allergies and sensitivities, whether you skin gets more oily or dry throughout the day, and several other key questions that can completely change a makeup application, how it is done, and what products I use. I have heard countless times from clients that the makeup artist they used before didn’t ask them a single question before the makeup application. How am I even supposed to know where to go with the makeup application if I don’t know what you do and don’t like? Please seek out someone who has your best interest at heart and communicates with you clearly.
5. Experience: Last but not least is how much experience a makeup artist has. I have over 7 years of experience in the field and this ranges from bridal work, tv/film work, photoshoot work, and more. I have dipped my toes into almost every facet of the makeup world to build my portfolio, expand my knowledge, and learn more about my favorite parts of the industry. Every year I find I am evolving in different ways and it only adds to my reputation. It’s important to book a makeup artist with a good amount of experience, whether it be by time and/or by areas of work, so you can be confident you’re getting the best work possible.
Photographer: Evermore Imaging
I hope this blog post opened your eyes to the importance of booking a solid, professional makeup artist for your next event. Best of luck in exploring your options and having the best possible outcome!